- Life of an Angler exploit server is one day
- Around 3600 users are compromised per day by ransomware
- 3% of targets paid the average ransom demand of $300 to the hackers
Researchers from Cisco Systems’ Talos Security unit noted that “using simple math [one] can easily determine that this [particular] adversary is making potentially $3 Million a month,” but “It is difficult to be 100% accurate with these numbers.”
Hackers Making $60 Million Annually
“This is a significant blow to the emerging hacker economy,” researchers said, “where ransomware and the black market sale of stolen IP, credit card info and personally identifiable information (PII) are generating hundreds of millions of dollars annually.”
How to Protect Against Ransomware?
- Make sure to keep all of the software on your computer up to date.
- Make sure that automatic updating is turned on to get all the latest security updates.
- Use secure connections for sensitive transactions.
- Never open any attachment unless you know who it’s from and why they are sending it.
- Use virtual keyboard for internet banking.
- Use strong alphanumeric and symbol passwords.
- Common sense is another useful weapon in the fight against viruses.