Android app developers can now build higher quality Apps and Games that users love.Of course, for an end user it may affect the overall app performance and installation time, as well as mobile data connectivity.
Google Wants Developers to Create Richer Apps
By increasing file size limit from 50 MB to 100 MB, Google wants to encourage developers forcreating richer apps and games, as well as help avoid the need for downloading additional files after the initial APK download.
- Developers write code efficiently and keep an eye on the overall size of their app
- Users don’t have to wait too long to download an app or game from the Play Store
Although Google increased the size limit of apps, the company wants to make sure developers are using the increased file size limitations for the right reasons.
As Google noted, “Even though you can make your app bigger, it doesn’t always mean you should.”
Factors Affecting Larger Apps
- Mobile Data Connectivity – Users from countries with slow Internet connections, are not likely to download applications that will take a long time to install.
- Mobile Data Caps – Many users are very careful about using up their mobile data on downloading just one app due to mobile data limitations.
- App Performance – Larger apps could result in lower performance, especially in older Android devices.
- Install time – Many users give up in installing an app if it takes too long to download and install.